nostalgic shakedown

...

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Big Bowls!


I Love these guys.... very practical sizing. Perfect for chips, mixing up cake batter, or even sorting our your latest oceanic finds. :o)

For now, I have 3 of these beautiful Cinderella bowls in: Homestead (brown and blue), Golden Butterfly #1 (goldenrod on white), and Early American (brown on white). At the bottom of this blog you can see a close-up of my favorite section of Early American ...to be honest I'm not too sure what these icons are...perhaps salt and pepper shakers, or olives and sugar cubes (kinda going out on left field there, but who knows!) Any thoughts? I just love the theme the Early American pattern runs with- eagles, cats, old coffee grinders, hand held fans, oil lamps, roosters, tea kettles, corn... somehow a list of such items is humorous, but it really is a beautifully, and intricately thought out pattern. Pyrex also made this pattern with gold(color) on brown instead of brown on white. I'd really love to come across an alternate piece. The gold just adds an element of nostalgia, value, and flair.

When I picked up the Homestead bowl last weekend, it was about $7.50, which is a bit much for a single item at a thrift store. Normally I can find bowls like that for $4-5. This San Bruno Salvation Army really knows what's up with the value of Pyrex, and they do not let you walk our the door without paying, lemme tell you! I actually found that bowl in a set of 3, but I didn't want to spend another $12 to buy the whole set...I honestly don't enjoy that pattern as much. I just know that down the road I'd like to own one of every vintage pattern they ever made.. (yes, it's going to take a whiiiiile!) Therefore, I knew picking up this bowl would cross one more pattern off the list so I can move on to new and more exciting pieces.

I've been drooling over a super rare pattern unofficially called "Berries". It's a white pattern of berries and leafs in white, on a pinky peach dish. Way too cute. Saw one on Etsy for under $20 and it is veeery tempting. ONE! Couldn't believe it...you know it's rare when.....lol. Maybe I'll have a streak of luck this weekend- who knows!

2 comments:

  1. Have you been to the Salvation Army in San Mateo? I wonder if they have anything good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea i have.....never anything!! weird... the one down the street from me ALWAYS has fun stuff..and it's super small too. strange ways...very strange..

    ReplyDelete